Thursday, March 5, 2009

Welcome to my blog...enjoy your stay.

Hello everyone, glad you could come by!

This is a chronicle of my freegan adventures through Montreal in winter(!), as an anti-consumerist experiment for Lent. First, some definitions:

Lent is a 40-day liturgical season that begins on Ash Wednesday and concludes at the Great Vigil of Easter. Sundays are not included in the 40-day count because every Sunday is a joyful celebration of Jesus' resurrection. Though not biblical, Lent has long been a tradition in the Christian Church, and it is thought that the tradition of the 40 days recalls the 40 days Jesus spent in the wilderness, fasting and being tempted by Satan (Matthew 4:1-11). Lent is considered a time of penance and discipline. (Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, http://archive.elca.org/communication/whatislent.html)

Freegans are people who employ alternative strategies for living based on limited participation in the conventional economy and minimal consumption of resources. Freegans embrace community, generosity, social concern, freedom, cooperation, and sharing in opposition to a society based on materialism, moral apathy, competition, conformity, and greed. (www.freegan.info)

I guess the goal of this whole experiment is to detach myself from money and realize that, while it is useful, it does not rule the world. I'll get into my own personal take and experience of the situation in another post. For now, take care! Comments welcome, of course.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    I have a blog on food an ethics and I'd love to discuss your experience as a freegan in Montreal. My bog is penseravantdouvrirlabouche.com and you'll find a link to contact me.

    Elise

    ReplyDelete